● Ylvis, the Norwegian comedy duo behind “What does the fox say?” took the #1 top trending video for 2013 in Malaysia and globally
● PSY strikes gold again (two-years running) with single ‘Gentleman’ taking the #1 top trending music video for 2013 in Malaysia and globally
● Astro Gempak became the #1 most subscribed channel on YouTube Malaysia with more than 500,000 subscribers
● Homegrown content proved very popular: local versions of the Gwiyomi song earned the #5 and #10 spots along with 3 other Malaysian uploads for top trending videos; Malaysian-made music videos made up 5 of the top 10 top trending music videos and Malaysian channels were also 5 of the most-subscribed on YouTube Malaysia in 2013.
Kuala Lumpur, December 11, 2013 -- It’s that time of year again to pause, rewind and remember the videos, the entertainers, and the moments that captivated you in 2013. As unpredictable as each year seems to be, it’s clear that trending videos are getting bigger, and the global community responsible for them is driving pop culture unlike ever before.
Malaysians watched the The Fox until they were able to effortlessly go “Wa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pow!’ and made it the top trending video on YouTube Malaysia this year. We also tuned in to watch PSY strut his stuff in ‘Gentleman’ to make it the top YouTube Malaysia music video of 2013. Over 500,000 people subscribed to Astro Gempak, making it YouTube Malaysia’s most subscribed channel in 2013.
This year also proved to be the year of viral hit Gwiyomi on YouTube Malaysia -- involving cute facial gestures and a lot of self-pointing -- which spawned numerous parodies and compilations including from our very own local celebrities. Two Gwiyomi videos made it into the top 10 list of trending videos on YouTube Malaysia.
On a global scale, YouTubers watched the The Fox more than 275 million times, making it the global top trending video of 2013. They also turned out in record-setting numbers to see Psy’s post-Gangnam Style performance and watched, listened, and reacted to just about everything Miley Cyrus did. And they made more “Harlem Shake” videos than there are people in Manhattan (1.7 million if you’re counting).
To celebrate all these moments, over 60 top creators on YouTube got together and made a little video for everyone:
Behind every great video is a great channel, and the channels behind this year’s top videos have more than 23 million subscribers around the world. Thanks to videos and channels like these, you're now watching more than 7 billion hours of video every month on YouTube, and uploading a week’s worth of video per minute. And fans of YouTube are truly global -- with 80% of views coming from outside the United States. This, of course, includes viewers from Malaysia.
Here are YouTube Malaysia’s top trending videos, music videos and channels for 2013:
Top Trending Videos of YouTube Malaysia 2013
7. Angry Birds Toy Surprise Jake and the Never Land Pirates Disney Pixar Cars 2 Easter egg Spongebob
Top Trending Music Videos of YouTube Malaysia 2013
Channels that gained the most subscribers on YouTube Malaysia 2013
1. Astro Gempak
10. LOEN MUSIC
Here are the global top trending videos, music videos and channels for 2013:
Top Trending Videos of 2013
1. Ylvis - The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?)
4. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball (Chatroulette Version)
5. Baby&me / the new evian film, EvianBabies
6. Volvo Trucks - The Epic Split feat. Van Damme, VolvoTrucks
8. Telekinetic Coffee Shop Surprise, CarrieNYC
9. THE NFL : A Bad Lip Reading, BadLipReading
Top Trending Music Videos of 2013
1. PSY - GENTLEMAN M/V, officialpsy,
2. Miley Cyrus - Wrecking Ball, MileyCyrusVEVO,
3. Miley Cyrus - We Can't Stop, MileyCyrusVEVO,
4. Katy Perry - Roar (Official), KatyPerryVEVO,
5. P!nk - Just Give Me A Reason ft. Nate Ruess, PinkVEVO,
6. Robin Thicke - Blurred Lines ft. T.I., Pharrell, RobinThickeVEVO,
7. Rihanna - Stay ft. Mikky Ekko, RihannaVEVO,
8. Naughty Boy - La La La ft. Sam Smith, NaughtyBoyVEVO,
9. Selena Gomez - Come & Get It, SelenaGomezVEVO,
10. Avicii - Wake Me Up (Official Video), AviciiOfficialVEVO,
Channels that gained the most subscribers in 2013
Check out the YouTube Rewind 2013 Channel for even more top lists of the year from around the world, and stay tuned at Google.com/Zeitgeist next week for Google's annual look at the people, places and events that captured the world's attention this year.